The following local sites are offering holiday food and gift donation programs:
Many places require pre-registration as well as proof of income eligibility. Please call the specific agency for more information.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Lincoln/Lancaster County
Community Winter Clothing Drive
November 15- December 6
Because resources are especially tight for families this season, BGC Lincoln is hosting a Community Winter Clothing Drive to keep kids warm as winter closes in. Gently-used winter clothing items can be dropped off in the big blue bins at Buzzard Billy’s, Capital Cigar Lounge, and Firethorn Golf Club.
All items will be washed and distributed to Lincoln Public Schools
Donation sites are:
- Buzzard Billy’s -247 N. 8th St
- Capital Cigar Lounge-5505 S. 16th St
- Firethorn Golf Club- 8855 Resort Dr.
CASA for Lancaster County
1141 H St, Suite C
End of November – December 18
NBC Bank customers and members of the public can help make the holidays brighter for children and youth in the CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) program. Choose an ornament from the tree (child’s age, gender, gift suggestions); buy the gift and return it to NBC Bank for delivery to CASA.
Giving Tree Donations
Located at Nebraska Bank of Commerce
6000 Village Dr., Suite 100 and 250 N 14th St
Catholic Social Services
2241 O Street
- Thanksgiving baskets available on November 20th if accepted. Apply by calling in advance.
- Operation Santa Clause registration: October 26- November 18th. Mondays and Wednesdays from 2-4 pm
- Christmas Food Baskets, Request starts November 30th until filled. Call to request
CEDARS Home for Children
6601 Pioneers Blvd
- Adopt a Family during the holiday season, please call 402-434-KIDS (5437).
1035 N 33rd St
Dec. 10 – 13
- Gifts of Love – families and individuals must register between October 28 – November 13
- Unwrapped gifts for all ages
Community Action Partnership of Lancaster and Saunders Counties
210 O St
402-875-9338 or 402-875-9339
Nov 17- Dec. 18
- Holiday toy giveaway
- Unwrapped toys
Those interested in donating can select an item from Community Action’s online wish list and ship directly to Community Action. A link to this year’s wish list can be found at www.communityactionatwork.org
El Centro de las Americas
210 O St
- First 100 families will receive a Thanksgiving food box 9:00 am – 12:00 pm; 4:00 pm – 6:30 pm
6433 Havelock Ave
Adopt-a-Resident- November – December 11
- Gifts must be under $25, such as movie passes, gift cards to the Children’s Museum, manicure/pedicure gift cards, New Household items when the women exit Fresh Start into permanent housing such as; towel sets, house slippers, hair dryers/straighteners, pots and pans, or drinking glasses.
If you’re interested in adopting a resident please contact Audrey Back- Development Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsor a Family- November 23- December 17
Purchase gifts for a specific family staying at Friendship Home or off our general Holiday wish list!
Drop off site: 3401 Village Drive
Good Neighbor Community Center
2617 Y St
- Thanksgiving food baskets
December 1 – 11th
- Grandparent’s Christmas Room
- Toys/gifts, winter coats, books, stuffed animals among other donated items will be given out for their grandchildren
Turkeys for Thanksgiving
Unwrapped toys, hats, gloves, stocking stuffers for Christmas
3800 Cornhusker Hwy
Operation Santa Claus
- Duplicate registration checked. You can register at Catholic Social Services, El Centro de Las Americas, Lancaster Veterans Service Center, HopeSpoke, Lancaster City Health Dept., Malone Community Center, Ponca Tribe of NE, Region V Systems, and Voices of Hope. Check with individual agency for registration times and dates but only sign up once.
Matt Talbot Kitchen and Outreach
2121 N 27th St
- Hot to-go meals from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. Monday – Friday; 11:30 am – 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm on the weekends
- Thanksgiving Evening Meal to-go- November 26, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Christmas Meal, Lunch & Dinner to-go December 25 – 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. & 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- New Year’s Lunch & Dinner to-go January 1st 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. & 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Must be present to receive a meal
Mourning Hope Grief Center
1311 South Folsom Street
- Holiday Hope is a program intended to support bereaved families during the often-difficult holiday season. This year, Holiday Hope will look a bit different due to directed health measures
To foster emotional healing and encourage individual creativity, children and teens will be provided with supplies for a holiday memory-making activity. Mourning Hope will have the supplies available for contactless pickup at the Center on a specified date. Youth will be able to complete the project at home at their convenience. Then, all participants will be invited to come together to share their completed project via Zoom on Thursday, December 10 at 5:30 p.m.
This event is open to children and teens ages 5 to 18. Caregivers will receive tangible and online resources to help the family navigate the holiday season.
Please register at www.mourninghope.org/services/hhregistration.html
People’s City Mission
110 Q St
- Thanksgiving food baskets
- Thanksgiving meal (must reserve as spots do fill up quickly)
- Christmas food baskets
- Santa’s Workshop
- A Christmas store for guests at People’s City Mission to shop for their kids & relatives.
The Salvation Army
2625 Potter St
- Thanksgiving food distribution (November 23-24)
- Registration (November 2 – 18) is required. Must bring ID, social security card for all members of the household, proof of residence and proof of income.
- Holiday food distribution (December 21 – 23) and toy (December 22 & 23) distribution
- Applications for registration will be accepted from 10a-12p and 1-4p from November 19 – December 18th. Registration is required. Must bring ID, social security card for all members in the household, proof of residence and proof of income.
- Donations are needed for the Angel Tree program, which provides free toys, gifts, clothing, and more at Christmas