The United Way of Lincoln and Lancaster County (UWLLC) has earned the trust and confidence of the public through years of ethical, honest and responsible charitable service. We believe that the continued success of the UWLLC depends upon the ethical conduct of its employees, board of directors, and volunteers.
Additionally, we believe that UWLLC must set an example for other non-profit organizations by its high standards of performance, professionalism, volunteer and charitable service, and ethical conduct.
This Code of Ethics is the policy of the UWLLC and expresses its fundamental values. Every UWLLC employee and volunteer, in his or her official role or when representing UWLLC, will abide by the following standards:
- Seek out truth and avoid misrepresentation.
- Ensure fairness and objectivity in all activities.
- Ensure that all information that is confidential or privileged is disclosed only as intended.
- Embrace equal opportunity in all aspects of our work.
- Act in a manner that conveys respect for everyone with whom we have contact.
- Embrace the spirit of volunteer-staff partnership at every level of the organization as we work together to achieve the mission of UWLLC.
- Strive to meet the highest standards of performance and achievement and promote such standards among our affiliated agencies.
- Be good stewards of all resources entrusted to us.
- Never use coercion when dealing with donors or potential donors, agencies, vendors or other constituents.
- Treat vendors fairly and honestly, avoiding impropriety or any appearance of impropriety.
- Promote a working climate where honesty, open communication and minority opinions are values.
- Encourage growth and self-improvement among all employees.
- Ensure efficient collection and maintenance of accurate information about the activities in which UWLLC engages.
- Assure access to information legally defined as public information and make full and fair reports to contributors and the public about how dollars are spent and other relevant information about UWLLC programs and activities.
Conflict of Interest
- Avoid any activity or outside interest that conflicts or appears to conflict with the achievement of the UWLLC mission.
- Disclose their interest and when appropriate, refrain from participating in or influencing any decision or other action that could result in direct or indirect benefit to his/herself, family or business.
- Decline any gratuity or favor in performing his or her duties on behalf of UWLLC, other than gifts of nominal value.
- Accept food, transportation or entertainment only when directly related to UWLLC business and there is no appearance of influence or conflict of interest.
- Refrain from using UWLLC resources for personal gain, personal interest or non-UWLLC purposes.
- Refrain from hiring staff into a position where a relative (by blood or marriage) would have decision-making responsibility over that staff person.
- Avoid selecting a consultant or service provider who is a relative, personal friend, employs or is affiliated with a relative or personal friend, based solely on relation or friendship.